Oregon OSHA's

Health and Safety Resource

Print version

October 2016

Ask Technical

When a temporary employee is working for a host employer and is injured on the job, who records the injury on the OSHA 300 log - the temporary employment agency or the host employer?

Typically, the temporary agency administers the temporary employee’s workers’ compensation coverage. If the host employer is directing and controlling the temporary employee’s work, the host employer must record the injury on the host’s OSHA 300 log for that facility, just as if the temporary employee was a permanent employee. The host employer and the temporary employment agency are both responsible for investigating the incident, however.

The temporary agency would record a temporary employee’s injury only if it occurred at the temporary agency’s site.


If you want to receive the Resource Newsletter, sign up for future issues here.

Reprinting, excerpting, or plagiarizing any part of this publication is fine with us. Please send us a copy of your publication or inform the Resource editor as a courtesy. If you have questions about the information in Resource, please call 503-378-3272.

For general information, technical answers, or information about Oregon OSHA services, please call 503-378-3272 or toll-free within Oregon, 800-922-2689.